Eloquence on Demand Metadata Solutions for ONIX
Have you seen the ONIX standard recently? We have! Firebrand's Eloquence on Demand™ Metadata Solutions includes industry-leading support for ONIX files. We worry about the details, we sit on the standards committees, and we develop the complex programs and feedback so that you don’t have to. Eloquence on Demand transmits rich bibliographic records to more than 400 Trading Partners for thousands of publishers, distributors, and imprints.
What is ONIX?
- ONIX stands for ONline Information eXchange.
- ONIX is an XML-based standard created by a consortium of publishers, wholesalers, retailers, and data aggregators, originally brought together by the Association of American Publishers (AAP).
- The ONIX format was created in response to the industry’s need to be able to communicate better information about titles.
- ONIX is the preferred form of electronic bibliographic transmission for Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Baker & Taylor, Bowker, Ingram, The Library of Congress, and many other interested data recipients.
- ONIX’s XML structure is very well suited to handle the variable amounts of information that can be conveyed for each product. The format can house rich descriptive information such as book descriptions, author biographies, catalog copy, and even excerpts.
- ONIX is a tool that helps publishers communicate their product messages effectively.
- The ONIX standard is managed internationally by EDItEUR, a non-profit standards organization based in the United Kingdom, with assistance from the Book Industry Study Group’s Metadata Committee in the U.S.
- ONIX has gone through several versions since its inception in 1998. The latest version is 3.0, but many retailers have not yet updated from version 2.1. Eloquence on Demand supports both ONIX 2.1 and ONIX 3.0, depending on the requirements of each trading partner.
- ONIX is not data. Just because the spreadsheet you are sending to a major retailer contains descriptive content, it doesn’t mean that you are sending ONIX. ONIX is a specific form that book bibliographic data can be sent in, not the data itself.
- Eloquence on Demand does not ONLY send out your data in ONIX files. We do send ONIX to those partners (like the ones mentioned above) that prefer it, but we ALSO send your data in spreadsheets, delimited files, and text files to our partners who prefer those forms. Of the 400+ partners we work with, many still want title information in a spreadsheet. Eloquence on Demand automates the process of sending title information in the numerous forms required by our trading partners.
BENEFITS OF USING ELOQUENCE ON DEMAND FOR YOUR ONIX CREATION AND DELIVERY
- ONIX is complex, and the development of ONIX files is not trivial. You focus on publishing and leave the technology to us.
- ONIX is changing... all of the time. If you develop your own creation and delivery solutions, be prepared to start over the day you finish.
- ONIX is standard... sort of. Each publisher and trading partner implements ONIX differently, especially for more complex title information. Eloquence on Demand has the accumulated experience of working with hundreds of trading partners to improve the process.
- Eloquence on Demand has contacts with real live people at trading partners. We send information for hundreds of thousands of titles via ONIX, and know who to talk to when something goes wrong.
- Publishers increase the number of online accounts that receive bibliographic content electronically.
- Eloquence on Demand saves you time and money, decreasing the cost of doing business by reducing manual data entry and eliminating duplication.
- Eloquence on Demand gives you the ability to send multiple pieces of artwork in varying image formats to online trading partners.
- The Firebrand team represents you at ONIX industry meetings and advocates for best practices and standards adherence.